A FOUNDATION FOR
Hans Strätz (left) and Franz Fremuth (right) founded the Optische Werke Passau.
The optical plants already employ more than 150 people and deliver their eyewear as far away as Sudan.
The great flood of July 1954 flooded the Optische Werke buildings.
The elements strike again: A large fire destroyed the factory buildings, leaving no glasses behind.
The new OWP plant in Spitalhofstraße was built: At ground level and safe from the Danube.
In the 1960s, extravagant glasses made of celluloid were created, reflecting the zeitgeist of a generation.
AT HOME IN THE WORLD
Subsidiaries in France and the Netherlands were founded.
The “OWP design” collection allows for development within the premium segment.
In the eighties, glasses experienced a revolution: The visual aid becomes a fashion accessory.
OWP established itself as one of the leading brands of high-quality eyewear fashion worldwide.
The new OWP competence center creates the perfect environment for our enthusiasm for eyewear.
STRENESSE BY GABRIELE STREHLE
Straightforward, high quality and noble: OWP launched the licensed collection Strenesse and equipped the national football team with sunglasses for the World Cup.
The subsidiary OWP USA Inc., based in Boston, is founded and opens up access to the largest optics market in the world.
OWP organizes a design competition for students for the first time: A number of entries from 27 countries produced three creative prize winners.
OWP’s birthday -
this calls for a celebration!
Read our anniversary brochure.
A modern logistics center and warehouse for the OWP Group was built in Passau-Heining.
The OWP Group has expanded through the acquisition of another long-established company, Dr. Beck GmbH, and has thus broadened its portfolio with the brands FLAIR and bx. eyewear.