Summer 1947: Optische Werke Passau launches operations
Hans Strätz and Franz Fremuth offer "glasses and eyewear ground in any manner," celluloid spectacle frames and modern sunglasses.
Not even three years later, the production line ships off 600 horn frames and 2,000 - 3,000 spectacle lenses every day. Orders are even delivered as far as Turkey and the Sudan.
OWP provides a much welcome contribution to the post-World War II economy, giving Passau a tremendous boost because it already has 150 employees by 1950.
Company founders: Hans Strätz (standing, left) and Franz Fremuth senior (standing, right)
Left: article from the Passauer Neue Presse, July 1950